Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Prayer?

Let’s start with this: I’m no theologian. This is not an original idea but a beautiful concept that I’ve stumbled upon. Karl Rahner S.J. in On Prayer did something similar that I am about to do with the Our Father. (Or, rather, I'm doing something similar to what he did.) It is a common problem (especially among Catholics) to become complacent and merely gloss over the words of formulated prayers. Hence why so many people get bored while praying the Rosary or don’t have a personal relationship with Christ. However, Rahner tells his reader (and I agree) to pray despite boredom.  True prayer is an invocation of the name of God, right? True prayer is prayer in the Holy Spirit, right? Well, he says that everyday, common, boring prayer leads the Holy Spirit in to the soul for strong and powerful encounters. Most beautifully he says, “If he feels himself incapable of praying, he must nevertheless kneel, join his hands, speak words of prayer even if he feels that these words come only from his lips and that his heart remains unmoved.”

I wrote this in ten minutes. I could’ve put more thought, time, and prayer into it but it was too good of an idea for me not to start writing on right this minute and I’m busy the rest of the night to give it the time it deserves. Regardless, it was an outstanding and very fruitful experience but it’s nothing much so I might revisit it later. That being said, it was good prayer and sought to avoid what I’ve been discontent with in my own spiritual life lately--that of blandness. Consider making a project like this every week for the duration of Lent.

Our Father,
My daddy. My dad. My heavenly Father. My personable Father. The one that I trust and cling to throughout everything.
who art in Heaven,
- Who created all the Heavens. Who is the Almighty Creator of the majestic expanse of the Universe.
hallowed be Thy Name.
- Holy be your most High name. You are worthy of praise. I should fall down at the sound of Your name.
Thy kingdom come,
- Bring your kingdom among us. Bring your presence fully to our lives. Infiltrate the fiber of my very being. Let me fully be one in union with You.
Thy will be done,
- Allow me to be receptive and courageous in the face of Your eternal will, that which is greater than all else, that it may be carried out. You know all.
on Earth as it is in Heaven.
- Bring to fruition your plan here and now. We desire You with enthusiasm.
Give us this day our daily bread
- I need your nourishment. You are the source of strength, courage, love, forgiveness, humility, patience, everything. As my body can’t go a day without food, nor can my soul go a minute without prayer. Give me the patience to hear you but the courage to initiate conversation.
and forgive us our trespasses
- Forgive me. I’ve sinned against You, myself, and everyone else.
as we forgive those who trespass against us
- Give me the strength to be able to have but one ounce of Your patience to forgive.
and lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
Bring me perfectly back into you.
AMEN.
- I believe this wholeheartedly and I'm more confused than ever but I still trust in You.


Remember that “God is more true the center of our being than we are ourselves” and that “Deep in our hearts there is a profound restlessness because God has given us a thirst for the Infinite, for the Incomprehensible, for Himself.”

No comments:

Post a Comment